Monday, December 12, 2011

How much does applying for a credit card lower your credit score?

I was pre-approved for a credit card in the mail that I'm interested in applying for.. but I've heard that if I go through with the application that it would lower my score. At the moment it's at around 730. Is there any criteria that decides how much it would be lowered once I apply?|||A 730 score is very good. Applying for one card won't affect your score too much. If you keep the balance under 35 percent of the limit then it will actually increase your score slightly in time.


A credit score will decrease when there is a significant number of inquiries or applications for credit on your report - it looks like your are experiencing a financial hardship and trying to obtain credit to get out of it.


One application won't do much to your score.


Good luck.|||Don't worry about it. It's trivial. What lenders are looking for are patterns, like a big bunch of applications within a couple of months. That would make them wonder what's going on in your life that you need so much credit all of a sudden. One application every few months won't make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment