Thursday, December 8, 2011

Will a landlord care if you have high credit card debt?

I have 4 credit cards that total about 11k. My debt to income ratio is 25%. My gross monthly income is $3605. The rent would be $600 plus gas and electric. I pay all my bills on time every month but due to my high credit card debt my credit score is 620. Will a potential landlord not rent to me because I have high credit card debt. I have not consolidated the debt but I have a plan of my own to pay it back in 3 years. My three year plan does not finally squeeze me after paying allow my bills I would still have about $1000 for food fuel savings and entertainment every month.|||generally speaking, they will check your credit score. So if your score is not so great (600 or less) than you might have problems. It doesnt sound like your score is that low, so it should be ok.





check into setting up automatic transfers from each paycheck; this will mollify some landlords. Or they may also want an extra deposit and co-signer, but be willing to work with you on renting.





With a 620FICO you should still be able to rent though. Its not impossible and shouldn't be too big of a problem with your actual income.|||You should look for a private landlord they are easier to rent from and as you can pay your rent then you will be fine. Enjoy your new apartment and Happy 2011.|||You should be alright.|||Ask for a reduction in monthly rent for a longer lease if you are planning to stay for more than a year. Ask for $50 less per month for a two year contract (be prepared for the landlord to counter by adding an additional deposit to serve as a contract termination fee should you not stay the full two years). A two year lease at a lower rate not only saves you money immediately but also protects you from a rent increase after the first year. If you are an excellent tenant throughout the two years, you will be in a good position to negotiate a new contract at the same -- or lower --rent.


Emphasize whatever characteristics you have that indicate you will be a hassle-free tenant when negotiating your first lease. If true, be sure to tell the landlord that you are "quiet" and an "immaculate house keeper."

No comments:

Post a Comment